The morning air is a bit crisper and days a bit shorter as fall starts to settle in around us. The change of seasons is good time to embark on those indoor and outdoor tasks that may have been neglected over the summer months.
A good bi-annual clean-up is a great idea and gets some of the big work done and out of the way before the holidays. Tackle of these indoor projects now:
- Wash and/or dry clean draperies and comforters. Pay close attention to manufacturers cleaning instructions. For those items that can be machined or hand washes, use a safe, natural product life. (I personally love The Laundress Signature Detergent in Classic scent… makes the laundry smell amazing!)
- Clean carpets and floors. Give carpeting and area rugs a thorough vacuuming and then spot clean, or have professionally cleaned, if needed.
- Give your wood floor a good cleaning with a quality wood floor cleaner (I like both Bona and Method brands). Look for scratches and damage, and if your finish is really worn, consider having them refinished.
- Wipe down kitchen and bathroom wooden cabinets with a good wood cleaner (I prefer Stickley Furniture Dressing which has antibacterial properties and is made for wood).
- Clean your home office and get papers organized and filed. Many of us neglect office work during the beautiful summers months – now is the time to find your desk top again!
Pick a nice sunny day to clean up the yard, increase your curb appeal and celebrate the look and feel of autumn with a few outdoor projects:
- Remove and compost old annuals flowers, remove dead leaves and blooms from perennials.
- Bring in fall color with mums, sunflowers, pumpkins and gourds to dress the front your home, urns and walkways. Harvest accents such as corn stalks and hay bales and height and interest by creating different levels to display your fall décor on.
- Replace your summer door décor or wreath with a beautiful fall floral or harvest inspired wreath.
- Clean wrap and store patio furniture and summer accessories for next season.
Enjoy your refreshly cleaned home and get ready to have fun with Step 2… Bringing to the look of fall inside!